Research services provided:
The Hawaiian Historical Society provides limited staff-performed research services for a fee:
- We will consult our manuscript groups, photograph collections, and library resources to answer your inquiry.
- This service includes genealogical inquiries where we will search cemetery records.
Research services not provided:
- In-depth Research – Examples: “Please send me a copy of everything you have on the Smith family from Hawaiʻi Island” or “My family came to Hawaiʻi from Russia in the 1800s. Could you tell me what ship they arrived on?”
- Newspaper Lookups – for a large quantity of material or when a specific date is not known. Example: obituaries when the month and year are known, but not the specific death date.
- Lookups in microfilmed records
Request research services
To request the Library’s research services please view our research fee schedule and contact us at HHSOffice@hawaiianhistory.org. Research requests are performed in the order they are received and as staffing levels allow. Staff members are unable to perform research requests while patrons are waiting.
The photograph and special materials collections are available to individuals and organizations for reference, research, and commercial use. Permission to publish is required when any material from the Hawaiian Historical Society collection is published or displayed. Permission may be obtained by completing the Permission to Publish Photographs/Special Materials Agreement. Reproducing an image does not imply permission to publish.
Many of the photographs and special materials are unique and irreplaceable. In an effort to balance open- access to the collection with the need to preserve the collection for future use, a fee for publication and for reproducing the image (printing or scanning) will be charged.